I adapted this recipe years ago from one I found online (don't recall the source), I have nixed all the sugar in place of honey except for the icing and have managed to create a healthy version of the Starbucks Pumpkin Scone!
Everyone usually loves these scones and although they do have some icing they just aren't quite the same with out it!
|Honey and Organic Pumpkin Puree! **No sugar here**|
4 cups Whole Wheat flour
2 TBSP baking powder
1 tsp Sea Salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp ginger
1 cup Butter or Coconut oil
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup Honey
1/2 cup whole milk
2 large eggs
- Mix all dry ingredients together in large mixing bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives. Set aside.
- Mix pumpkin, honey, milk and eggs together with whisk in small bowl.
- Combine pumpkin mixture into dry mixture try not to over mix.
- On a clean dry surface spread out a little flour and grab 1/3 of the scone dough and pat flat. You can either cut the scones with a knife or use a large cookie cutter (I often use a large circle) to cut out the scones to make them uniform.
- Bake at 425 Degrees F. for 14-16 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
Cinnamon Spice Icing
1 cup icing sugar
1/4 tsp each of Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger
2 tsp milk (give or take to get consistency just right)
While scones cool on the wire rack, mix together icing until it is a medium consistency. Not runny but not too thick because you will be drizzling it on top the scones.
Once scones are cool, using a spoon you will scoop up a little icing and with a back and forth motion drizzle the icing on top the scones. Let rest before storing them in a air tight container or enjoy right away!
Comment below on how you think these scones compare to Starbucks pumpkin scones!