Search This Blog

Sunday 26 October 2014

Make your own Pumpkin Pie and Apple Pie Spices



These two Spices mixes are fairly popular especially at this time of year.  When I started making my own pumpkin scones a few years ago I learned what goes into "pumpkin pie spice" and since then I have always just made my own when needed.  But recently I wanted to make a recipe and the original called for Apple pie spice.  Because I don't have that one in my cupboard I quickly looked up which spices went into it so I could make my own and I thought I would share with you what the recipes for both actually are!
The great thing is that you can purchase your spices in bulk from the health food store and get organic spices so much cheaper this way!  
Pumpkin Pie Spice
1/4 cup ground cinnamon
2 tbsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground nutmeg*
1/2 tsp ground cardamom (optional)
Apple Pie Spice
1/4 cup ground cinnamon
1 tbsp ground allspice
2 tsp ground nutmeg*
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cardamom (optional)
Combine all ingredients for desired mix and blend well. Store in a small, airtight container or make ad hoc. Feel free to experiment with amounts to get a blend that works for you. I personally like lots of ginger and cloves in my pumpkin spice but some people don't like those spices as much.  

Enjoy your fall baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Social