Search This Blog

Thursday 9 October 2014

Halloween Candy and the Switch witch



The candy is stacked higher than me in Superstore.... and I have to say this is kind of disgusting to me.... 

You have got to think that this is just one store of many who are selling halloween candy in our area and it they so so much candy. 

Will all of this be purchased? Handed out? Consumed? Thrown away? 

It's kind of crazy to think that it could all get purchased in the next few weeks.  It's more insane to think that it could all get consumed.  But really I bet there will be a lot of waste that happens also.  I wish I could find some stats on this.... hold on let me go find some!

Ok I'm back!

Check out what I found.....


More ABC news videos | ABC Entertainment News

On a CTV new Article i read that Costumes were expected to account for $1.2 billion dollars out of the $6.9 billion spent on halloween last year.

It also noted that Americans will spend $1.9 billion on it this year,according to The Nielsen Company. That’s around 600 million pounds worth of Hershey bars, lollipops, Milk Duds, Twizzlers and Clark Bars.
Crazy!!

Ok so with that out of my system I can move on. 

As a child I loved this holiday because of the fun of going door to door seeing how much you could collect then sorting through it all and trading with your friends and sister... But seeing this mound of junk makes me think about how this holiday is so much about consumerism and is fed by the food production industry.  It's really sad that we see boxes upon boxes of unhealthy over processed food stuff when instead there really could be healthy pre packaged foods like dried fruit, nuts, healthy cookies and the like. 




In our house the Switch Witch comes to collect Asher's Candy. 

How it works

Asher still enjoys every aspect of Halloween including having a few treats. But before he heads to bed he selects a few treats to keep and the rest he puts out for the switch witch who exchanges his treats for a toy, clothes or crafts. 

When he wakes up the next morning his new toy is in place of the treats. 

He actually brought this up the other day and was excited about what the switch which might bring him. I think that doing this provides a nice balance between enjoying the holiday and having a loot bag of treats hanging around for weeks. 

How can you get the switch witch poem for yourself?  

You can simply click here to fill out your name and email address and I will email you a copy of the switch witch document that I use!

I like to print off the switch witch poem a day before halloween and put it into an envelope in our mail box.

The second sheet which has just the photo of the switch witch on it, I will cut out and glue to the front of the envelope.

Put the letter in the mail box for your child and they are sure to be excited!

This is such a great way to reduce the amount of candy your kiddos actually eat but still allows for the fun of halloween!

I hope you try it with your kiddos this year and I would love to hear from you so if you do use the Switch Witch poem with them please comment below and tell me how it went!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Social