Search This Blog

Saturday 25 October 2014

Pumpkin Cake Cheesecake




Birthday Time for my Mom and I wanted to try out a new recipe that  I found on Pinterest!  I adapted this lovely recipe from the Sally's Baking Addiction blog found here. I made a few modifications to the recipe like swapping out vegetable oil for coconut oil, and using coconut palm sugar rather than brown sugar but I mostly just kept it the same and it turned out great!  I really enjoyed it and so did my hubby and my mom!

I made this cake for my mom's birthday picnic dinner so I actually decided to cut out little round pieces and place them into jars so that it would travel better.  



I could have easily just made the mini cheese cakes in the jars and baked them that way but I wasn't 100% sure on our plan for the night so when I made the cake in the morning I just made the big one!  None the less it workout out great!

The little Jars filled with cake were so cute!

So lets get to the recipe shall we!  Here it is....


Ingredients:

CHEESECAKE

  • 16 ounces (448g) full-fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
  • 3/4 cup (150g) Organic Cane sugar
  • 1/4 cup (60g) plain greek yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 Tablespoon (8g) all-purpose flour
  • 3 large eggs

PUMPKIN CAKE

  • 3/4 cup (180ml) coconut oil
  • 1 cup (200g) coconut palm sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 and 1/3 cups (318g) pumpkin puree (canned or fresh)*
  • 1 cup (125g) whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Directions:
Adjust oven rack to the lower third position and preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray. Wrap aluminum foil on the bottom and tightly around the outside walls of the springform pan, as shown in photos on the How to Prevent Cheesecake Cracks page of Sally's Blog.  Set aside.
Make the cheesecake first. Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and sugar together on medium speed in a large bowl - about 3 full minutes until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Add the greek yogurt, vanilla, and flour and beat until combined. On low speed, add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until just blended. Do not overmix the filling after you have added the eggs. Set aside.
Make the pumpkin cake. In a medium bowl, whisk the coconut oil, coconut palm sugar, eggs, vanilla, and pumpkin together until combined and uniform in texture. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, other spices, and salt together. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until no large lumps remain. Avoid overmixing the pumpkin cake batter.
Spread 1 and 1/2 cups of the pumpkin cake batter over bottom of prepared pan. On top of the pumpkin batter, drop large spoonfuls of the cheesecake batter. Top with large spoonfuls of remaining pumpkin cake batter. Repeat with remaining cream cheese batter. It does not have to be neat and perfect. Do not swirl with a knife. Just plop it all down and pour the cheese cake batter into the pan!  Trust me. 

Place the springform pan into a large roasting pan and place into the oven. Fill with about 1 inch of hot water. The foil wrapped around the pan will prevent water from leaking inside. 
Bake for 65-75 minutes or until the center is almost set. If you find the edges are browning, loosely place aluminum foil on top of the cake as it bakes. Once done, turn the oven off and open the door slightly. Let the cheesecake sit in the oven for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely at room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight (preferred). Loosen the cheesecake from the rim of the pan and remove the rim.
On the Original recipe she also included a cream cheese icing but I felt that it wasn't likely necessary and because my mom and I both don't like super sweat desserts I figured we didn't need it and we didn't!  
MAKE AHEAD/FREEZE: This pumpkin cake cheesecake freezes well up to 2 months, covered tightly. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.

My Mom and Asher blowing out the Candle in her Mini Cake in a Jar. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Social