Search This Blog

Sunday 27 April 2014

In-Law Gardens

The in-law gardens is my garden over at my Husbands parents house.  Last year we tore up their lawn and created four rows for me to garden in and share the produce with the family!

The first year we learned a lot!

1. They have Deer!!!
2. Deer like everything in the garden :(
3. Netting to deter birds from eating the berries may also act as a net in which they get tangled in ;(
4. Potatoes are awesome to grow and harvest!
5. In-law gardens gets A LOT of Sun..... water regularly

Last May my son was also born prematurely, so although we planned for a great garden in the spring, once he was born it became very difficult for me to make time to go over and water, weed etc.  With so many trips to and from the hospital I just didn't get the time I thought I would to tend to the garden.  But this year I plan to take the boys over regularly to work the garden, pick our organic fruit and veggies and just eat them right then and there!

We have our own small garden in our back yard but I have longed for more space to grow and I'm so grateful to my in-laws for allowing me to pursue this garden and for all their help in getting it back up and running this spring!

Yesterday we all spend the afternoon weeding.... and man there are a lot of weeds!

I was so happy to see the chives, parsnips, parsley and purple broccoli were all thriving!  Asher picked a few pieces of Purple Broccoli and we all had a bite or two and boy was it tasty!

My Father-in-law also has designed a huge potato growing device and built me a little green house in which to grow my peppers and get the tomatoes off to a good start!

The seedlings are getting ready under my grow light and I can't wait until we can really get in there and Garden!!!

It's truly so satisfying to grow your own food and know where it came from!  No pesticides or GMO's, nothing to fear!  Just good food!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Social