Search This Blog

Saturday 5 April 2014

Be the Mom that gets her hair wet!


I took Asher to the Public swim this afternoon and we had a blast!

I was taking him swimming quite a bit a few years ago, but then he had an incident with a teacher accidentally knocking him into the water while trying to snatch an escapee child.  Luckily Daddy was right next to him and grabbed him up but he just didn't trust the teacher after that and he wouldn't do the classes.

So last weekend we started private swim lessons for him and he loved it.  He did another class during the week and is doing better and better with getting comfortable in the water!  He has another private lesson coming up but I thought it would be fun for him and I to go to the pool on a date and just have fun!

And we really did have a fun time!  I remember my dad playing in the water with me just like Asher and I were.  And yet I noticed that I was surrounded by mostly Dads and kids in the pool.... where were the moms?

Well there were two moms with their babies splashing around and the odd mom hanging out in the kiddie end sitting by the ledge.  But to be honest there was only one other woman besides myself that got her hair wet.  And I think she was some sort of teacher or daycare lady because she had a large group and was instructing them very drill Sargent like.  So I might say I was the only MOM in the pool who actually got her hair wet and swam with my kid.

What's up with that?

There was one mom in the pool that was in full makeup and completely dry from the waist up.

Why is the job of having fun left to the dads when it comes to swimming at the pool?

Because their short hair dries faster?  Because moms just don't want to get into their bathing suits?
I know that part of the reason Gord went into the pool with Asher for his swim lessons where the parent needed to be there  was because I was uncomfortable in a bathing suit.

But who cares what your hair looks like, mine is a frizzy mess right now because of the salty water.
And you know what, whether or not your comfortable in your suit, if your already in it and in the pool then let loose and have some fun.  I feel great having taken the time to do something fun with my kiddo and it really brought me back to when I was a kid at the pool too.

I even checked to see if they still had the dryers on the wall that my friends and I would dry our hair with and guess what?  They still do!

I don't know about you but I think being the mom who gets her hair wet is way more fun then having nice hair when I'm done at the pool! 

And I get that feeling of not wanting to walk from the change room, across the pool walkway and into the pool in your bathing suit in front of all the parents sitting on the sidelines watching you.  It's uncomfortable.  You feel like your legs are giggling as you walk and everyone is watching. 

But just think of all the uncomfortable, not fun things we do for our kids daily with little or no reward.  When something like jumping into the pool with them and splashing around like your an 8 year old girl again will allow them to see your fun side and will allow you to just enjoy the moment. 

Once your in that water, once you have dunked your head once your free!  

I don't want to judge anyone for feeling uncomfortable in their suite, I've been there.  And I don't want to judge you for not wanting to play with you kids in the pool either.  I just want to encourage you to think about it and next time your standing at the edge of the pool trying not to get splashed by the big kids running by, take a deep breath and jump in.  Be a kid again and your kids will love it!

Are you a Mom who gets her hair wet? Comment below if you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Social