Search This Blog

Tuesday 1 April 2014

How to get your kids to love yams!

Asher has recently discovered that yams are Yummy!!!


How do I get my 4 year old to eat yams? 

He loved them as a baby but as he got older he wouldn't eat them unless they were in fry form. So one night while making a batch of mashed yams for my dinner instead of regular potato, I added in a bit of butter and the spices I would normally use in my pumpkin scone recipe... Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger! I put a little on his plate as well and told him it was like pumpkin pie. 

He tried, he loved! The rest is history! 

But what if you can't even get you kid to put them in his mouth? 

Try a blind taste test! 

Have them try different foods blind folded! 

Get them to guess what each food is and then show them after, this will ensure that after they have tried the food item they can visually associate it with the taste they just had. 

Start with items they love to build the trust and go from there. You might be surprised at the foods they actually like! 

Have fun with it and dont push too hard! I always put a food item on Asher's plate even if he doesn't eat it or I know he doesn't like it because you never know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Social