Search This Blog

Monday 10 November 2014

Mini Apple Pie



This afternoon I decided to make a Homemade Chicken Pot Pie and ended up with a little bit of left over whole wheat Coconut oil Pastry left over.  I can't let pastry go to waste so I threw together a couple of mason jar Apple pies for dessert!

First make the pastry

Ingredients 

2 cups flour
Half a teaspoon of salt
One cup coconut oil or shortening
One egg
2 tablespoons cold water
1 tablespoon white vinegar

Combine flour and salt in a mixing bowl cut the coconut oil into the flour with a pastry blender. 

Then beat the egg, water and vinegar together.

Pour the egg, water and vinegar mixture evenly over the flour mixture. Mix until moistened. 

Divide dough in half and shape into 2 balls, cover and chill for 15 minutes.

Well the dough is chilling in the fridge take the time to make your filling.

I used only about 1/2 of one of the balls so 1/4 of the pastry for these apple pies and I made four pies.  So you could either make a whole bunch more, or make a chicken pot pie too!

Apple filling

4 Apples peeled and chopped
Apple Pie Spice

With my pastry made I peeled and chopped up four apples and tossed them with apple pie spice seasoning in a small bowl.  


Then I scooped the apples chunks into the mason jars to make them about 3/4 full. 


Using an unfilled mason jar I cut circles out of the pastry for the top of the pies. 



Then we took it to another level with Coconut Cream!!

Like whip cream but sooo much better in my opinion! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Social