Search This Blog

Tuesday 27 January 2015

Baked Sweet n' Sour Chicken


I failed in meal planning for this week and knowing that I had chicken breasts in the fridge, I planned to make either Chicken Stirfry, Chicken Gyros or some sort of rice and chicken dish.  Pinterest offered up a little inspiration as I scrolled to see a photo of sweet and sour chicken on my feed.  So I grabbed the chicken and started to chop it up into chunks. 

Then get ready to get messy!  

Well only a little bit and then get ready to have a yummy dinner!!


I used egg and corn starch to coach each chicken piece before browning then in my large skillet.  But be warned your fingers will gather a lot of corn starch on then in the process!  I washed my hands twice during the process just so that I could flip the chicken already in the pan!


Once browned I transferred them into a baking dish.  At this point they were all nice and perfectly crispy!  YUM!  I tried to make sure they were not only browned but fully cooked.  That way my dish didn't have to bake too long in the oven as I didn't have all night to wait on dinner! The boys were on their way home from swimming and would be very hungry.



While the chicken was browning I had mixed up a little sweet and sour sauce.  I threw in honey, tomato paste, vinegar, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar and garlic powder. Now Gord said he would have like more sauce, but for me it was just enough so if you like it really saucy I would probably double the sauce recipe or at least another half batch.  


After baking it in the oven for about 20-30 minutes it started to get nice and gooey.  The rice was done and the boys were hungry. In fact Fraser was already snacking on cheese and a piece of bread with butter!  


Plated and served!  

You know what I wasn't sure Fraser would like it as he isn't really too into sauces.  But he did!  And Gord was very happy with it too!



Baked Sweet n' Sour Chicken Recipe

Ingredients

3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1½ cup cornstarch
3 eggs, beaten
¼ cup Olive oil
1 cup Honey
4 tablespoons Tomato Paste or Organic Ketchup
¼ cup white vinegar
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces.
  • In separate bowls, place cornstarch and slightly beaten eggs. Dip chicken into egg mixture and then into the cornstarch.
  • Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook chicken until browned. Place the chicken in a baking dish.
  • In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine Honey, tomato paste or ketchup, apple cider vinegar, white vinegar, soy sauce, and garlic salt. Pour over chicken and bake for about 30 minutes or until sauce starts to bubble and thicken
  • I stirred the chicken every 10-15 minutes so that it coated them in the sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Social