These muffins are healthy, dairy free and whole wheat. And if using Maple Syrup instead of honey they are vegan too!
I was not feeling like grating carrots but really wanted a carrot muffin. So I decided to try using the food processor to do the job! Guess what? It worked brilliantly!
The batter came out nice and thick but mixed easily together. I so love an easy muffin recipe. Mis all the dry ingredients, then the wet ingredients and combine. DONE!
I decided to make a batch of BIG muffins and a batch of BABY muffins too! Easy for Fraser to eat and it also meant Gord won't be cutting up a big muffin (for Fraser) on the cutting board and leaving the crumbs behind for me!
Healthy Carrot Oat Muffin Recipe
Makes 15 muffins (or 12 muffins and 12 mini muffins)
- 2 cups whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp. Almond milk
- ½ cup pure maple syrup (or honey)
- 3 Tbsp melted coconut Oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups peeled, grated carrot* (about 2 medium)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tins with paper liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the whole-wheat flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, applesauce, milk, maple syrup (or honey), melted butter (or coconut oil), and vanilla. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in the grated carrots.
- Divide the batter evenly between muffin cups, filling each cup almost to the top. Bake until a tester inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 18-20 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Storage: The muffins freeze very well. If kept air-tight in a zip-top plastic bag, they will stay fresh in the freezer for 2-3 months. Defrost on the counter or in the microwave before enjoying. Muffins will keep at room temperature for 2-3 days.
*I used my food processor to make grating the carrots quick and easy. A box grater works well too but boy is it easy to put them in the food processer and much less mess!