Search This Blog

Monday 26 May 2014

Trying a new whole food - Farro!

I've never tried Farro but I'm planning to try it this week!

But What is Farro???

Farro is touted to be amongst the healthiest grains there is. It is a type of wheat that is very popular in Italy and is rather versatile - you can have it hot or cold, in salads, to give soups some bite, as a side dish or with beans, wheat and other vegetables. And, like quinoa, it can take on the flavor of almost any mix-in or dressing.

There are many health benefits of this power grain… 

  • Twice the fibre and protein than modern wheat
  • Rich in antioxidants, phytonutrients, lignans and betaine
  • Rich in Magnesium 
  • and vitamins A, B, C and E.
This is a great article on the history of Farro and how to best cook it!


I've searched for a few recipes that I might like to try and located this one on the Rachel Ray website...



Farro with Asparagus, Hazelnuts, and Kale topped with roasted mushrooms

Grocery list:
1 1/4 cups Farro, pearled
1 1/2 pounds mixed mushrooms (shiitake, crimini, brown)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fresh Thyme
Freshly Ground Black pepper
3-4 Cloves or garlic
2 Shallots
1 bundle thin asparagus
1 bundle flat tuscan kale
nutmeg
dry sherry or marsala
chopped hazelnuts
lemon juice
Sherry vinegar (optional)

I can't wait to try Farro and am considering trying this recipe on Wednesday night.  Although Gord isn't a fan of Mushrooms, at least I can just leave them off the top of his!

Either that or I will be making this Farro Cranberry and Goat Cheese Salad for our Camping trip:


This recipe is from Lifesambrosia and looks so simple and delicious!  Can't wait to try it!

Also on the same website I found this yummy sounding meal... which I think Gord might actually like better than the first one if I remove the Shrimp!

Farro with Shrimp Bacon and Mushroom with Spinach


I hope some of these recipes inspired you to try this grain too!
Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Social