Search This Blog

Monday 23 March 2015

Quick Pineapple Chicken Tacos


I didn't plan ahead tonight but I really wanted to do a pulled chicken taco type dinner.  I decided to poach the frozen chicken breasts in a water/pineapple juice mixture to add a little flavour to the chicken and then shred it since I didn't have a rotisserie Chicken on hand.  

Gord and I are doing the 21 Day fix and I'm on my last week!  We have been doing really well with using our Tally Sheets, they seem to keep both of us better organized while on the meal plan and holds us more accountable to getting all our containers in each day! You can check out the 21 Day Fix Tally Sheets we created on this blog post!

Now I don't know about you but I have never actually Poached a Chicken before... but it seemed like a smart idea being short on time tonight and needing shredded chicken for dinner in a hurry!

So I did a little research and this is what I did for mine...


Poaching Chicken Directions

The Chicken: 


I used frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts for my recipe. 


The Liquid: 

Drain pineapple juice into pan with chicken and add in about 6 cups of water, or just enough to cover the chicken. 

Cooking the Chicken: 

Place the chicken in a saucepan large enough to hold the chicken pieces comfortably. Add enough cooking liquid to cover the chicken. If desired, add any other ingredients for flavoring the liquid and chicken. Bring to boiling on medium-high heat; reduce the heat. Cover the pan and simmer until the chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F).
  • Bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts: cook about 30 minutes
  • Skinless, boneless chicken breast halves: cook 15 to 20 minutes
  • Skinless, boneless chicken breast cut into 2-inch pieces: cook about 10 minutes

Drain and Use: 



When the chicken is done, remove the chicken from the pan. For torn or pulled chicken pieces, let the chicken breast cool until easy to handle. If the chicken has skin, pull it off with your fingers and discard. Using your fingers, tear off pieces of chicken. Or if you have a Kitchen Aid Mixer you can chop up the chicken roughly and put it into your mixing bowl.  Turn mixer onto medium until the chicken is nicely shredded.  So much easier doing it this way!  

Quick Pineapple Chicken Taco Recipe

Serves 3

Ingredients

3 Whole Wheat Wraps
2 Large Chicken Breasts Shredded Chicken (1/2 Cup each wrap)
1 Small Can Pineapple Chunks or Tidbits
1 cup Cooked Peppers
3 Tbsp Salsa
3 Tbsp Honey

Directions

Poach Chicken and Shred with stand mixer. 

To a frying pan add pineapple and peppers cook until peppers begin to soften.



Add in Salsa and honey stirring got combine



Add chicken into the mixture turning over to coat in pineapple mixture.  

Serve on whole wheat tortilla. 


21 Day Fix Portions: 1 Red, 1 Yellow, 1/2 Green, 1/2 Purple


.Click here to support my blog on Top Mommy Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Social