Yesterday morning was eggs for breakfast and we used up every last one! So this morning when I started a batch of muffins for breakfast I realized that I would need to borrow an egg. Luckily we have awesome neighbours and they even delivered before I could send Asher next door!
This batch made 12 regular sized muffins and 16 mini muffins for the kids. I've used my Aunty Janes crackle berry muffin recipe as the base for a few of my recipes and just tweaked it to make it healthier by using coconut oil, honey and whole wheat flour in place of white sugar, white flour and butter. But they always turn out amazing and you would never know they were "healthier" than the original.
The batter is nice and thick so use your judgement and add in extra milk as needed to smooth it out while stirring.
Mixed Berry Muffins
1/3 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup honey
1 tsp pure almond extract
8 Tbsp milk
1 cup full fat Greek yogurt
2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup raspberries
1/2 cup blueberries
Preheat oven to 375
1. Mix together coconut oil, honey, egg, almond extract, milk and yogurt pressing the coconut oil on the side of the bowl to smooth out or you can soften it in the microwave before adding in the honey.
2. In a medium bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Mix until combined.
3. Add dry ingredients into the wet mixture and stir until combined. Don't over stir.
4. Add in berries and mix in.
5. Grease muffin tin or line with silicon muffin cups.
6. Fill muffin cups with batter and bake for 20-22 minutes.