I have FOREVER been searching for a Healthy Frosting Recipe. There are so many ways to make cakes, cupcakes, scones and muffins healthy but what is frusterating is that icing typically calls for icing SUGAR. One thing I hate including in my baking is processed sugar. I usually use only Honey or Maple Syrup.
But I finally found one and modified it to what I had on hand so here you go!
Finally Healthy Honey Frosting Recipe
• 1/2 cup Almond milk
• 1/2 cup honey
• pinch celtic sea salt
• 3 teaspoons arrowroot powder or Corn Starch
• 1/2 tablespoon water
• 3/4 cup coconut oil
- In a medium saucepan, heat Almond milk, honey and salt, simmer for 10 minutes
- In a small bowl, combine arrowroot and water to form a smooth paste
- Pour arrowroot mixture into saucepan
- Whisk vigorously to combine, then bring to a boil, briefly, until shiny
- Remove pot from heat and very gradually blend in coconut oil with a hand blender
- Allow pot to cool for 10 minutes
- Place pot in refrigerator for 45-120 minutes, until frosting solidifies and turns white
- Remove from refrigerator and blend again with a hand blender, until fluffy
- Spread over cake or cupcakes
I used this recipe on my Banana Bread Bars, which have historically called for a Brown Butter Frosting. I tend to skip past this recipe in my book because I dislike using frosting on an otherwise healthy bar. But in this case I feel good about the whole recipe!