Search This Blog

Saturday 15 March 2014

Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins



I can not wait until our Rhubarb is ready!!!  I was out in the garden the other day and noticed the first signs of leaves popping up!!  This recipe is pretty popular in our house during rhubarb season and I always freeze some for the winter but this year we didn't seem to have anywhere near enough! I often have to make a double batch of this muffin recipe for our weekday breakfasts because when they come out of the oven it would seem that about half of them disappear before they are able to cool down!



Rhubarb and strawberries are both in season by the end of April.... and Rhubarb is still in season until well August... September maybe!  I'm updating this post which I made when I first started the blog and it's the end of August right now I just picked a bunch of rhubarb and made this recipe so I figured I'd edit it a bit.  When I first wrote this post it was in April and Rhubarb was just starting to creep into season.  

I love this recipe for a quick breakfast the next morning, the trouble is not eating them all before you go to bed!  I made a batch and I'm resisting taking a second one after testing one out!  They might be my favourite muffin recipe as I just love the sweet and sour as well as that almond flavour!  Mmmmm....

Whole Wheat Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins


Ingredients 


1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup honey
1 egg
1/2 cup whole milk or almond milk
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp real almond extract
1 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb and strawberries
Top with almonds (optional)


Directions


Mix dry ingredients together in small bowl. Mix wet ingredients together in another bowl. Mix fruit into dry mixture then add wet mixture, stir to combine but don't over stir.

Line pan with 12 muffin papers or silicon cups and bake for about 15 minutes or golden brown! I usually go by when I can start to smell the almond scent in the house, then they are ready!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Social