Search This Blog

Monday 5 December 2016

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

Cheddar Broccoli Soup Recipe


I'm so freaking excited for lunches this week because I made up a batch of Cheddar Broccoli soup and divided it up into Mason Jars for my lunches all week.  Usually I like to have variety through the week and I don't tend to eat the same thing day after day BUT this is a hectic week for us AND this soup is AMAZING!  

I have always loved a nice thick cheddar and broccoli soup but it can be so hit and miss and it's often over salted or not too cheesy in restaurants.  I've made it before and it always turns out just OK but this batch was pretty darned close to the best I've ever had and that's saying a lot!  

We have a very busy week ahead of us with the Christmas Musical Theater shows starting and dress Rehearsals at the beginning of the week.  Asher has been in PACE Musical Theater for 3 years now and I volunteer in the wings helping to get the kids on stage in time and in the right spots.  During "PACE week" I'll be working all day, coming home at 5pm, at the theater by 5:45, and then home anywhere between 10pm and 11pm. 

PACE rehearsals

That doesn't leave a lot of time for making meals or packing lunches for the next day. Therefore on Sunday morning my game plan was to make a batch of Peanut Butter Apple Baked oatmeal for Breakfast and pre-portion them out to grab and go through the week as well as a batch of Cheddar Broccoli Soup for my lunches.  Now I've just got to figure out a bunch of quick dinners.... 

On Sunday morning before PACE rehearsal I got to work on this soup.  I even had time for a quick bowl of it before I left and dang I was so impressed with myself tehehe really I was surprised and how simple the recipe was and how flavorful the soup was too! 

Cheddar Broccoli Soup Recipe
Soup for the week!


If you love a good Cheddar Broccoli Soup this is a must try!



Best Ever Broccoli Cheddar Soup 


Ingredients


1 tablespoon melted butter
½ medium chopped onion
¼ cup melted butter
¼ cup flour
2 cups half-and-half cream
1-2 cups fresh broccoli chopped into small pieces
1 cup carrot, julienned
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese
sea salt and pepper to taste

Instructions



Saute the onion in 1 tablespoon melted butter and set aside. 

In a large pot whisk together the melted butter and flour over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes.

Slowly whisk in the half and half and chicken stock. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring regularly.

Add the broccoli, carrots, and onions. Let them simmer on medium low for about 25 minutes until the broccoli and carrots are tender.

Add nutmeg, salt and pepper and sharp white cheddar cheese. Let the cheese melt and then serve. 




Modified from the Recipe Critic Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Social